Thanks to one of our readers for this great list of resources! She found them very helpful in her own process and wanted to share them with the community. Some of these you may have already found on the site, but it’s wonderful to have them in one place. (All content below is reader-submitted.)
1. TELL – An organization that offers all sorts of help. Papers, info, referrals, and you can email them. TELL: Therapy Exploitation Link Line
2. A great blog with all types of support, stories, info, and resources. (But if you are reading this, then you already know that!) : Surviving Therapist Abuse – Resources and Support for Healing
3. A research paper on those who go through therapy abuse, on the International Cultic Studies Association website in International Cultic Studies Association’s e-Library Member Resources. Compares it to Stockholm syndrome. Appears that the site may now want you to join in order to read it.
4. A helpful site by Kenneth Pope with lots of info on dual relationships, ethics, malpractice, boards, etc. Dual Relationships, Multiple Relationships, & Boundaries
5. Online ethics course designed for therapists. All about therapy abuse. Free: 10 CEUs – OnlineCEUCredit
6. Blog from someone who experienced harmful therapy/exploitation:
Disequilibrium1’s Blog – BAD THERAPY? A DISGRUNTLED EX-PSYCHOTHERAPY CLIENT SPEAKS HER PIECE
7. Legal info on this type of a abuse written by a law firm:
Winer, McKenna & Burritt, LLP | Oakland, California – Therapist Abuse and Therapist Malpractice Cases
8. Cult Education – The Rick Ross Institute: www.CultEducation.com
For the clergy and therapy abuse forum: Clergy and Therapy Abuse Forum
9. Helpful article, points out some main red flags: Psychotherapy: What Can Go Wrong from Learning from Bad Therapy with Madeline Aimes.
10. A personal experience and helpful suggestions/readings on the Body Image Betrayal and Related Issues website. (Some links are broken.) BIBRI: Therapy Abuse
11. Blog; less about therapy abuse, more about narcissists, manipulation, empaths, boundaries: JerkBusters – Manipulation
12. A blog/personal story of therapist exploitation:
Waking Sleeping Dogs – When Good Therapy Turns Bad: Part One
13. An interview with a therapist who experienced therapist abuse:
Yahoo! Voices : How to Avoid Getting Abused in Psychotherapy
* * *
Do you have any resources you’d like to share? Leave a comment below or use the Contact form to send an email.